Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Girl Effect



Right now, I am painting my fingernails. Red, to be specific. I wanted them to be prettier for this weekend. Painting your fingernails and doing it well takes forever, as any girls reading this probably know. There's at least 3 coats of polish involved and the more coats you have, the loner they take to dry and your're supposed to wait for them to dry before you add the next coat. Basically, it takes an hour. Maybe more. An hour in which I cannot push my hair behind my ears, use the bathroom, touch food (because my finger tips have nail polish remover on them which is probably poison) or do much at all. Every time I paint my nails, I fail. I mess up at some point or, like now, I get impatient and start doing something.

I told you all that because I started thinking how ridiculous that is. There is no real benefit to painting my nails. People don't even ever comment and tell me 'hey, nice fingernails.' Wish they would, but fingernails are not all that important, even in my tiny bubble of a life. So now...if you haven't. Watch the video I posted. I am serious. It is fantastically awesome and not even very long. Go watch. I'll wait...


A lot of the time, I get so overwhelmed at the problems going on in the world. People are starving an women are forced into sex slavery and there's war and child soldiers and...so much pain. I'm just one person, what can I even do? I don't have enough money to give to everyone who needs it. I don't always have the wisdom to discern where to give and who to give to. What can anyone really do?

I heard about The Girl Effect at the beginning of this school year. I really like it. It really points out how something simple and overlooked could well be the force that turns all of these things around. People don't have a chance with poverty and government corruption and horrible living conditions holding them back. Not to bash the whole male gender, but men in third world countries tend to be the ones with the money and the power...and the corruption, greed, and lust. Women are more often and more intensely the victims. I think The Girl Effect would or could work because it empowers the victimized. Giving aid and money to the corrupt could help them poor a little, in some version of the 'trickle down' effect, but more likely it just provides houses and cars and planes for the corrupt men in power.

Look up The Girl Effect website. Do something small that has the potential to have a big impact.  http://www.girleffect.org


More blogs about The Girl Effect: wiselivingblog.com/the-girl-effect-blogging-campaign

Vaya con Dios.



1 comment:

Tara Sophia Mohr said...

Thank you so much for jumping in and joining the campaign. Watching this video does put so much (like nail polish) in perspective -doesn't it?
I'm glad that the idea of the Girl Effect resonated with you and left you feeling like there was something productive you could do to help - because we each can make a difference by helping a girl or woman in the developing world.
Thank you for sharing your voice here.
Warmly,
Tara